Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Fifth Post

This week, I really learned a lot about green buildings this week, specifically about LEED buildings. We also had two speakers come into class to talk about green buildings. Shaun O'Rourke was really interesting. His work with LA was the most fascinating for me. I really liked how he talked with the community before planning everything. I found it really interesting that Hispanic mothers were the pivotal influence in creating community change, how once they found out how a Green Alley would change the neighborhood, connect the community, and reduce crime and drugs. And it's really interesting that once the project was getting so much support, local and city officials began to take notice and help Shaun out.
Art Adler's work was interesting, but his presentation was honestly, bland. It was interesting when he pulled up the system looking at all the vents in a Tufts building, but his talk could have been cut in half. When we asked what he found interesting about his job, he didn't have an answer and just talked more about the systems. Compared to Shaun, he seemed like he didn't have any passion for the work he does. It doesn't mean he doesn’t have passion, but he just could not convey it to us in his presentation.
I would be a lot more interested in Shaun's work compared to Art's, but that also might be because I'm not an engineer. Other planning, or community organizing, is probably the most interesting part of green buildings for me. Also brainstorming would be something I like to do. Basically anything other than the actual architecture part of green architecture.

I have finally found someone to interview! I met Ari Daniel at a Science in Media Panel hosted by a Tufts Experimental College Perspective course called Environmental Issues through a Documentary Lens. It was an event where five people who work with science and media in one way or another discuss questions and advice for anyone interested in science communication or journalism. There was a producer, editor, journalist, reporter, and a radio show host. I talked to Ari after the Panel and set up an appointment for next week in Davis Square to talk about his career and his life's path. I will also be seeing his three month old baby!

1 comment: