Saturday, October 29, 2016

Seventh Post

During last week's class on Urban Planning and Transportation, I learned how important the location of things could determine the structure of a city, and affect transportation, which affects climate change through gas emissions. For example, if grocery stores, schools, and other places we visit frequently were close by, we would not have to drive as much. But once a city is built, it is very hard to redesign the whole city. So it might be better to just try to mitigate the impact, rather than plan a decade long plan to redesign the city. But I believe the best approach would be to tackle both at the same time. And to really think and consider the consequences of urban planning for future projects and expansions of the city. One approach to reducing gas emissions is to create more subsidies for green energy and hybrid or electric cars. If the electricity for the electric cars came from a cleaner source, it will reduce the time for the car to offset the strain it took on the environment during production.

I found the history of cars in the US the most interesting. I never knew that between 1915 and 1930, people were against having cars in the city because the children mortality rate increased. But corporations being the way they are, turned the focus onto the idea of jaywalking, and blaming all the deaths on that. So that's why today, our streets are more car oriented than people walking.


Recently, I've been really stressed about not having any hours done from volunteering. But after having an informational interview with Ari, he offered to let me job shadow at NOVA! And I also found out that I could combine job shadowing, and volunteering. I plan to volunteer with a friend at ReVision Urban Farms next Tuesday for three hours, and hopefully one of the eight organizations I've contacted will reply back. But, I should only need three more hours, or possibly 1-2 more interviews to complete this assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment